Sunday, February 26, 2017

Early Spring

Hi All

Survived another Winter in Northern Michigan and still have all my fingers and toes. Been doing the usual stuff since my last blog which is snowmobiling, ice fishing, tieing flies, and walk in fly fishing around the upper fly water in the winter months. No big vacations, just plowing, shoveling snow and doing my usual Michigan Winter hobbies. I did a bunch of road trip ice fishing stuff on, PM Lake, Portage Lake, Hamilin Lake and Saginaw Bay, lots of local lakes too.. Froze up a bunch of nice Perch and Blue Gills for fish fry's. Good stuff...

 I did a bunch of grease monkey stuff in the pole barn also this Winter. I fixed my driveshaft bearing in my Polaris 500 carb and a wheel bearing hub on my big lake boat trailer. I had never done either before so it was a slow go getting them tore down and back together. Just lots of time, grease, shop rags, and propane. Also I put in 106 kold kutter ice screws on my Polaris 136" 600 IQ Shift track and new ski runners for running on bare ice and to help improve steering on the trails and lakes. So I put some hours in the ole barn wrenching on stuff..

Lately I have been Trout & Steelhead fishing with friends and clients. On Wednesday Russ Maddin and Jon Stefanciw came down from Traverse City fun fishing and we fished streamers. It was a ok bite we got one to hand and had lots of looks, misses and short strikes, pretty normal stuff. Water temps needed to be another 5 deg. warmer and the chase and bite would have been better but we all enjoyed the 60+ deg. weather and a perfect stain to the water while it lasted...

This weekend I had clients and friend Pete and his vet practice partner Perry here for some early Spring run Steelhead. Perry invited a bunch of his family (total of 8 guys) for Steelhead Camp to learn and enjoy our Pere Marquette river fly fishing. Some had been here before others were new fishermen. Unfortunately mother nature rained like crazy and threw us a cold front curve ball on Friday the rain starting at 12 a.m. and ending around 4 p.m. our 3 boat 2 day float trip caught some fish but it wasn't warm friendly stuff, it was cold ! The water was at it's banks and just barely came out of the banks Saturday night. Today Sunday it was already dropping 4" to 5" and clearing some as well. On Saturday the fishing wasn't to shabby but Sunday the water had cooled off a bunch and it was a little tougher bite.. All and all it was a great long weekend for there group and I just got back from the pizza party over at the cabin.. Great group of guys !!

The Steelhead run is just getting fired up and if you don't want to miss out get your rooms / cabins  and guide trips booked. I have lots of good dates open..call 231-745-6667


Tight Lines
Clint









1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience in Michigan and glad you survived. I like to visit that place someday. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete